Monday 21 May 2012

Race Week!! - My first trail run race

I was heading out for a run about 2 1/2 weeks ago and started out with my usual route - down my street onto Upper Middle as I have a number of different routes I take depending on how long I am going to go from that point. About 1km in I decided - wait - why don't I turn around and head into Bronte Creek Provincial Park for a run. I turned around, hit the park, and I have not looked back since.

Running the trails was like a revelation for me. No cars - no music - no street lights, stop signs and looking around your shoulder to see if a car is turning right - just myself and the trail. Do I jump when a squirrel jumps onto the trail? Absolutely. But do I feel like I am in a different world (a better one)? Yup.

Now I must be very upfront with everyone. I am NOT trying to turn into Gary Robbins (www.gary-robbins.com/). Great job in Spain Gary. However this has once again refueled my passion for running. Every day that I am in the park I realize how great it is  - different trails, routes, distances - everything I am looking for in a run.

Oh - and it is race week!!! My first trail race so I am indeed starting small - the Sulpher Springs 10km trail race (http://www.burlingtonrunners.com/index.cfm?pagepath=Club_Races/Sulphur_Springs_Trail_Run&id=5711) I have been running 3 - 4 times a week, over 10km on the long runs,and as mentioned the last few weeks have been on the trails, still going to spinning, playing baseball on Monday night, and riding the Bronte Creek trails with Emma quite a bit. 

I am very excited to run this race and it might change my schedule for the rest of the year if I enjoy it. I am really thinking that instead of a half marathon in the fall ( or in addition to) I might do the Run for the Toad's 25km race. I am not going all out - would love to finsh this in under an hour but we will see....

Can't wait for Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment