Sunday 26 February 2012

First hurdle of training...and one week to the Chilly Half.

Okay, even though I said I wouldn't do it I did. I have been training lots on the North Shore here in Burlington running those hills and it might sound crazy but I actually enjoy it. What I didn't enjoy is the GPS in my iphone always messing up - telling me I just ran a 3 minute km, calculating my total run at 31km which is wasn't, it was a disaster. So I broke down, did a bunch of research, and bought a running watch. Funny how the RR pushes the Garmins so much (which happen to be the most expensive) but I don't need the bells and whistles just one that tell me way too much information. I ended up buying the new Nike with TomTom GPS - the reviews were that it was perfect for beginners which I am. I must admit I love it - and it does make a great difference not hearing that voice every KM - just look when I want to.

As for the the training, I got 25km in last Sunday for my long run - including the famous Valley Inn Road. Felt awesome but it is not going to be fun on race day. Lots of great runs overall, feeling strong. And then boom - HELLO MR. FLU! Spent the last half of last week in bed and feeling like I was run over by a truck. It hurt bad. It also hurt that I had to miss Wes's 40th birthday bash but I know I can make that up to him later. I only missed a couple of short runs which I should have been tapering for the Half Marathon next week anyways but that wasn't my plan. I did get 13km in Sunday and thought about pushing longer but common sense finally kicked in and I decided to stop. I am only 2 days removed from being bed ridden so I need to be smart. I will get a few good runs in this week go for a strong half marathon. Not worried about a PB just a strong half in the two hour range. Let's hope the weather holds up.

Crazy to think this is the stretch run - 1 week to the Chilly Half Marathon, and four weeks today is the ATB. I am now officially nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment