Tuesday 7 February 2012

And the training goes on - in the winter.

Okay - I cannot complain at all as we have not really had a winter this year with no snow and it hasn't really been that cold. However - I can completely complain about the wind. Every day it seems like we have wind from 35 - 45 km per hour. It is not fun running in that. I do try to go out against the wind but 8 km in and I am totally exhausted. I am thinking I would rather have snow than this wind thing.

As far as running in the winter I do hear lots of comments on how/why/stupid/ and things like that. I was the same way until I got out and realized how great it feels on a sunny & cold day. You feel alive. A couple of good layers, dress properly and who really cares how cold it is out? For most people reading this we are in Canada so suck it up and get outside. Sure your nose might run but that's what your gloves are for - give it a good wipe and voila! Please also note just because it is cold out you still will get the chafing issues as my chest area found out last Saturday after the run once I hit the shower.

I also bought new shoes. Kind of weird that I am telling everyone who is reading this that but I was thinking - do I buy the same pair again - try something new - have two different pairs and alternate? I went with a new different pair. They do feel weird. Part of me is regretting that decision but let's see what happens.

Okay - so now I am almost 3 weeks to my (second) half marathon (double wow) and 6 weeks to the Around the Bay. I am totally starting to get nervous. Last week was my first crack at running North shore in Burlington - where the hills are for on the ATB course. Wow - it sure is a busy place on a Saturday morning. I guess I should have figured that but was totally shocked at the number of runners.

So what am I doing? Only running at this point as the leg injury is still kicking my butt. I am now going to a new physiotherapist who believe she finally figured out it is nerve issue behind the knee. Apparently I can continue to run so I certainly plan on it (I probably would anyways).

My plan to the finish the training portion of the ATB will include:
1) Four runs per week
2) Long runs on North Shore to practice those hills
3) Try to stay off the beer (oops - upcoming events include Wes's 40th and the Van Halen concert)
4) Hope this wind dies down.

I do want to get back in the spinning routine but need to get this leg better but my focus has to be these two races.

I was thinking of trying one of those adventure races (tough mudder) in the summer - anyone want to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment