Sunday 12 February 2012

Okay ignore that "winter isn't that bad" post.

I guess I am one of those people - complaining whenever I have the chance. We finally had our first blast of winter and wow what a difference it make when it comes to running. Saturday was -24, wind up to 45kmh, and snow. Needless to say my long run was moved to Sunday. For training, it is not the cold or snow it is that stupid wind. Stupid, stupid, wind.

So as far as the training goes I am still on my pace - 4 runs per week, 1 other cardio, and 2 days of rest. I have made the decision that my long runs (either Saturday or Sunday) will be down on the North Shore where the hills section are of the ATB. Now these are certainly not hills that I would encounter if I ran the Squamish 50 miler (that's a shout out to Gary Robbins), but for anybody in Southern Ontario they do hit you like a ton of bricks. Especially after you have run 15 or 20 kms and then you have to run them. When your first 15km have been run in the snow and wet conditions it makes them even more difficult. I did 24 km today and the last bit was a good size hill and wow that hurt. I must admit I did not run that entire hill (but I did not walk the entire thing either.

Now all that complaining being said I loved the run today. I was not really that cold at any time, could always feel my toes and fingers, and ran pretty much further than I ever have.

I am totally having second thoughts of running the Chilly Half Marathon in two weeks. I know I can finish, I know I am not training for a personal best, but I did hear from numerous people it is a great training race for the ATB so that is why I am signed up. I am going to run it and I am sure I will feel great once I am done but the second thoughts are certainly kicking in.

Anyways - we are only 6 weeks to go to the ATB race. I honestly will say i am thinking about the race every time I run and it is the major factor that keeps me going. I also think this running bug has really set in - why else would I run this morning with a windchill of -18, snow blowing horizontally, and the roads were soaked. But it felt great. Awesome.

3 more weeks to the Chilly Half Marathon, 6 more weeks to the ATB, and 6 weeks and around 5 hours until I eat a Bacon Double Cheeseburger, Fries, a pound of wings and a few pints.



No comments:

Post a Comment