Tuesday 31 January 2012

And on to the 10km....really??

So now I have run two 5km races, I was enjoying running,  I have lost more than 40 lbs (you need to eat better for this to happen as well - not just run) and I have a crazy idea to step it up and run a 10km race. Of course I bugged D-Lo to join the race as well and certainly learned a very, valuable lesson when taking up running. The biggest motivator you can have is actually signing up for the race. Your committment is made - now you have to do it. We signed up for the Eaton Downtown Dash in Burlington in July.

I was pretty excited about this but at the time the 10km seemed daunting. The training runs were longer, I had to get new shoes (see my post on starting up running), I had a fishing trip where I drank way too much and didn't eat healthy at all, and the weather was getting hot. That was a really weird thing - to go from winter training in pants, jackets, four layers of clothes to just shorts and a shirt. Spring is also a weird running time - you start out way too cold and end up way too hot. The other bad thing that happens when you start hitting longer distances is that chafing thing. It really does happen, hurts like hell, and I completely understand why people wear proper running shorts and body glide on your boobs. Sorry to be rude, but it's true.

My training was the same as I was running 3 - 4 times a week, still spinning 1 - 2 times a week, and I felt great. Long runs on Sundays were up to 8 and 9 kms, and most importantly I completely was noticing the weight loss. The fat pants (where size 40 was tight) were way too loose and were falling down. I bought shirts that were not XL for the first time in years, and I dropped a full suit size. It is expensive to lose weight but it is worth it. I also had no interest in hanging out in the big and tall stores which is where I was going.

So - it's race day. I was the proud volunteer of picking up the race kits from Team DeGroote. I headed over to the running room and picked up three kits. An important thing - NOTHING was said to me other than good luck. Remember that.

Running a race in the evening is weird - you are thinking about it all day, you are thinking about what you should eat, just lots of thinking. That is not something I do well. Finally - we head down to the race with my awesome cheering section, park, head over with about 20 minutes to spare. I will say I found it very weird that this race had no chips or timing pins. Nothing in the bag, no mention anywhere, just a bib with a number. Remember that.

The gun goes off and we start. My first 10km race (it was the 5km race done twice and that is not carney math)!! I made sure the family were on the right side of the course so I can see them. Of course they decided to go on the left side so I barely caught them on my first loop. I went out way too fast (common), and by the third km I had the worst stitch ever. Seriously it hurt. I continued one and so did the pain. I finished the first 5km in about 24 minutes - about what I wanted to. I stopped and kissed the girls, tried to drink, almost threw up, and starting running again. Finally around km number 7 the pain went away and I felt great. Awesome. My goal for this race was 50 minutes. As I made the final turn I could see the timing clock around 49 minutes. I seriously gave everything I had (which wasn't much) and came in at 50:02. I was thrilled. Big time.



The first person I saw was a gentleman named Bob who happens to go to the spinning class I go to. His first words were "Where is your ankle chip" Huh?????? No mention anywhere. Then I see everyone finishing with these things around their ankle. SH*T. Again - I wasn't winning this race, wasn't winning my age group, but I do like my times to be official.  My advice for all - if you don't have a chip or read or hear about some timing device ask someone. I should have.

(BTW - I did email the organizers, complained that nothing was said - mentioned Bob as a witness, and yes my time was posted on the official site).

So I have done it - my first 10km race. Did I know then that I was going for a bigger race? For sure. No doubt in my mind.









No comments:

Post a Comment