Tuesday 31 January 2012

Yep - signed up for the Half Marathon - now what?

I mentioned a few times - the best motivator (for me) is actually signing up for a race. Once I do I am going to run it. Well, unless I get hurt - but that hasn't happened. I decided to run the Road for Hope Hamilton 1/2 Marathon as I heard it was easy. How is running 21.1 km (notice the .1) easy?

I was disappointed my running partner Dave (D-Lo) dumped me for a girl. But he was in love. This one I was going solo - or so I thought.

Anyways my longest run at this point was about 11kms and needed to add 10.1 in about 2 months. Seemed doable other than it was summer time and I was going camping (and drinking beer), going on vacation (and drinking beer), going to cottages (and drinking beer), and playing baseball (and drinking beer). Oh and I had 90 people at my house on labour day weekend eating sausage and......drinking beer.

So I was behind the magic 8-ball in getting started but came up with my plan. My official half marathon training plan was:
1) Run 3 - 4 times a week.
2) Increase my long run each Sunday by 1.5 kms.
3) Spin once or twice a week (it helps me flush my legs out or so I think)
4) Tell as many people I could that I was doing it so I couldn't back out

I was pretty determine to do this - running around 30 - 35 kms a week but not including any hill training. Big mistake for a race that has 6km downhill. The long runs felt pretty good but it is really true you start feeling little muscles in your legs you never knew you had. That's what happens when you are running for 17km.

I was very lucky to stick with the plan and remain relatively injury free. I have legs issues know which were there during the training but it was not stopping me from running the race. I worked my butt off to get to the starting line.

I also found out that a good buddy of mine was going to run the race with me. This is a good motivating thing - someone else at the starting line with you is certainly a positive thing.

So - looking back the training of the half marathon I would certainly add hill training, perhaps ensure there was a fourth run each week - but considering at this point I started running outside 6 months ago I cannot complain.

Next up...the race...





No comments:

Post a Comment