Monday 30 January 2012

My uneducated tips for people starting to run

I will say I do get asked about my running (and probably more about my weight loss) quite a bit - how I started, why I do it, does it really allow me to drink more beer, etc. With that being said - I totally realize everyone is different but I will share my thoughts, tips, about getting started, what to buy, wear, etc. This is my personal notes and thoughts and nobody paid me for this information.

Please note that I am considered pretty cheap. This will be reflective in these statements.

1) There are lots of learn to run clinics to help people start. I did not use them nor do I run with training groups. There are lots of  training guides online and they are free. I believe (again, me and my opinion) that if you want to start running and changing your life it needs to be you doing it.
2) With that being said you must have your family support. You will have to be selfish quite a bit to get going. Being selfish and going out is the hardest thing I have had to do - you feel guilty quite a bit.
3) When getting shoes - try going to a couple of stores to get suggestions and don't buy the first one. The first two pairs I got at from an unnamed national chain running store where they believed I needed support shoes. When blisters kept coming they told me it was the socks. I bought their socks and still blisters. Went to another running store, was told I had the wrong shoes and voila - new shoes (neutral), no blisters, no pain, perfect. Get second opinions.
4) Starting out on a treadmill worked AWESOME for me. Seriously. Easy to control your pace, no bad weather, and easy to stop whenever you want. Now I use treadmills for shorter intervals - I couldn't imagine doing 14km on one no matter how good the music is.
5) I use the nike outlet for my shorts, pants, shirts, etc. Cheaper than anywhere else. You don't need $50 running shorts or shirts (sorry lululemon fans)
6) I like to know how far I went, how fast, etc just like everyone. The nike plus app cost me $4.00 for my iphone and I am sure there are others out there. I can't understand why I need a $300 watch. If someone can convince me that I need one awesome - but I just don't see it.
7) Read, read, read. Tons of great information for beginners and runners online. You can educate yourself for free.
8) However, make sure you have someone who runs that you can talk to about your running - thank you Gary Robbins.
9) As a competitive person it is very difficult for me to realize I am not winning a race. However it is nice to know I (and you) will not finish last. Even if you finish last who cares - you finished a race. Toughest thing in running for me to comprehend is the not winning thing. Will always be that way.
10) Yes, you can drink more beer...but that does not help with weight loss. Try scotch - it tastes better and had way less calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment