Saturday 28 January 2012

The second 5km - with family in tow....

So I finished my first 5km - felt great but the girls were disappointed they weren't there. Part of me was a little disappointed but a bigger part of me knew I had to do that one alone. So I found a great 5km race in Burlington on Easter weekend. Part of the race is that they have a kids 1km bunny run. The greatest thing about running and getting fit is seeing your kids wanting to get involved. Emma was thrilled to try the 1km - and even wanted to train with me. I would go out - run 4 or 5k and then Emma would train with me by running around the block. This was also really the first time the neighbours were noticing that I was running. It was not easy passing up the beer they were offering each time around the block with Emma...

Speaking of training - I was finally getting used to running outside. Unless it was really bad weather I was outside. I was still going to the gym doing a spinning class twice a week (works awesome in conjunction with running) but the thought of the treadmill full time wasn't something I wanted to go back to. Once you get outside and run, get comfortable, and realize nobody out there is judging they way you are running it is a great feeling. A fantastic feeling.

So it was race morning (the Saturday of Easter weekend) and the girls were preparing their awesome art work for the cheering section. Kloe was such an awesome cheerleader.


First up was Emma and her 1km. I was really nervous for her. Big time. I got her to the starting line, wished her luck, and told her I would meet her during the race to help. She ran by us with the biggest smile on her face knowing that she was really running a race. I started jogging with her about 1/2 way through, made the turn, and was heading back to the finish line. I happily said to her there is the finish line - which is exactly the place where she told me she didn't need me anymore and pushed me off the race course. As sad as that made me feel I was so proud of her as she finished her first race!!

Next up was my turn - 5km race # 2 (crazy...). The start line was about 200 meters in front of the finish line so I made sure I knew the family was on the left side of the course. The gun goes off and I will say what a great feeling seeing the girls (and my parents) cheering me on. Yep, I can admit - it was a bit emotional. So we made the first couple of turns and heading for the hills. This course includes 2km of the Around the Bay 30km course so they are pretty good size hills. I felt I was making good time however I had no idea if I was. Yes, my trusty GPS had gone on the fritz. No readings. No feedback. I was lost. But then I thought - wait - why not just run and don't worry about your pace. Just go. I do believe you must ignore your body sometimes when it tells you to stop. So I ran. I had an idea of my pace using the KM signs on the streets but it was more of a guess than anything.
As I passed the 4km I certainly realized that the family was at the finish line. Huge energy boost. I was tired but knew I could easily get through this. As I ran passed the fam (I missjudged where they were so it was a blur) I saw the timing clock that read 14 minutes. Huh? Not possible. At all. Well I found out that they reset the clock for the 10 mile race. I knew my time was probably going to be better but had no idea by how much. I had to wait until the final times were posted online in the afternoon - chip time of 23.46!! Beat my first 5km by over 2 minutes!! There is no doubt having support while running has a huge influence in how well  you do. Seriously.

Once I saw my time, the pictures, and when the realization that I just ran 2 races in less than a month I realized that I am becoming a runner.

Oh - did I mention at this point I had lost over 30 pounds??



No comments:

Post a Comment