Saturday 28 January 2012

In the beginning....

Okay - where to start. First, I had no real idea of ever writing a blog about my last 13 months or so - but then I saw everyone else doing one so I figured I would start one. Plus I do get ask about my weight loss and my running a bunch so I thought I would document the last year.

It started last November (2010). I had a great Garbage Bowl (our version of US Thanksgiving) and really did enjoy the deep fried turkey, bacon explosion, 6 meat chili, pulled pork - everything but vegetables. I totally remember coming home and my wife commenting how bloated (slang for fat) I was when I walked through the door. The next day at work I had a presentation so I had one of my finest suits on. Getting into the car to go I suddenly felt a little breeze. Yep - ripped the but right out of my pants. Blew it right open. So I went home, put on my size 40 pants (which were tight), completed the presentation and realized something was not right.

I decided then that was it. I needed to lose the weight, and more importantly start focusing on getting healthy. I had no idea how to get this journey started but I knew some great tips on what I should be doing thanks to the Biggest Loser. Yep - I watch it. And I totally believe that was me - getting bigger and bigger each year, eating worse, with lots of junk food. Believing that if I played basketball on Monday nights all was going to be okay. I guess I should have been focusing on the pizza, wings, cheesie bacon fries, onion rings, and beer I consumed after the basketball game.

So I joined a gym in January 2011 and started the journey. Many early mornings (yes I did not believe I could get up and get to the gymy for 5:30 but I can - and really anybody can if they want to) lead me to seeing a difference. I would love to say I felt better instantly but I didnt't. Until people starting noticing the weight loss.

That lead to the fateful conversation I had in the Exec Ed office with Dave (D-Lo). It was early February 2011 and he challenged me to run the Around the Bay 5km race at the end of March. I said yes - knowing I have never ran outside before. Knowing I couldn't run 1km without walking. But I knew if I was going to change it had to happen. I wanted to be a runner - but had no idea how to get there and what to do.....

No comments:

Post a Comment